• home
  • about krushevo
  • places to see

Error

Please download the CEGCore framework from www.chronoengine.com then install it using the 'Extensions Manager'

Places to see in Krushevo

 

Krushevo architecture 

As the city was started from scratch, the Vlachs were willing to invest and the Mijaks were excellent builders, in Kruševo a very interesting architecture has developed. The houses are freestanding, mostly symmetrical, without open spaces typical for other towns in Macedonia. The back of the houses are built of stone, while the front of socalled “bondruk” construction of wooden columns and beams covered with white plaster. There is almost always a well in the ground floor. On the main facade usually there are painted decorations in blue colour. Blue is also usually used for the window frames and other details of the facades. On the upper floor there usually is a small balcony with a triangular pediment above it to put accent on the symmetry of the house.

 

Ilinden monument (Makedonium)

The work of Jordan and Iskra Grabuloski, the Ilinden monument (aka "Makedonium") was unveiled on August 2nd 1974, and is a symbol of the defiance, struggle and eternal desire of the Macedonian people for national freedom. The figurative aesthetic design and layout of the monument complex, covering nearly 11 hectares (27.2 acres), begins with broken chains and continues through the crypt, which is a chronology of significant events and personalities from the period before, during and after the Ilinden, leading on to the colourful mosaic that forms the amphitheatrical entrance to the raised dome, which resembles a mace and which stands at an altitude of 1320 metres.

 

Church of St. Nikola

Built in 1905 on the site of an earlier church that was burned after the Ilinden uprising. St. Nikola church is the cathedral in the town and it is situated in the old bazaar. The iconscreen of the earlier church, that suffered in the fire, was made by the famous woodcarver Petre Filipovski-Garkata whose other work include the iconscreen of the church of Sv.Spas (St.Saviour) in Skopje and the iconscreen of St.Jovan Bigorski Monastery.

 

Church of St. Jovan 

The church was built in 1897. The iconscreen was made by Nestor and Lazar Aleksievski. Inside also notice the two large stoves typical for Krushevo houses.

 

Monastery of St Spas

The monastery of St. Spas was built in 1836. It stands out on a hill when you approach Krushevo from Prilep, but the turnoff for the Monastery (signposted) is low down in the valley before you start climbing up into Krusevo on the main road. Situated in a beautiful forest surroundings, the monastery is one of the favorite picnic places for locals and tourists.

 

Nikola Martinovski gallery 

Nikola Martinovski (1903-1973) one of the most important Macedonian contemporary painters was born in Krushevo and to the town he donated 62 paintings which are now exhibited in his birth house. The house itself is excellent example of Krushevo architecture and it is worth exploring. Also a small ethnological museum has been set up inside the house. Visiting the gallery gives you a chance to admire not just Martinovski works, but also the beauty of Krushevo houses.

 

Museum of Ilinden Uprising

The museum is set up in an old house in which the Krushevo Republic was proclaimed. Through photographs, documents, maps and weapons the period prior, during and after the Ilinden uprising is explained.

 

Mechkin Kamen (Bear's Stone)

This was the place where the band of Pitu Guli was trying to defend the town of Krushevo from the Turkish troops coming from Bitola. 

 

Toshe Proeski's grave site 

Toshe Proeski was a very famous Macedonian singer who died in a fatal car crash in Croatia on 16th of October 2007. Toshe's hometown was Krusevo . Visitors from around the Balkans are coming to Krushevo and visit Toshe's grave to pay their respect.

 

Toshe Proeski Memorial House 

The Memorial House of Macedonia's late pop star Toshe Proeski is located above Krushevo, in the area of Gumenye, near the famous symbol of the city - the "Makedonium" monument. The house was opened on 25 April 2011. It covers an area of 870 square meters. The concrete and glass facility is built in a form of cross. This monumental structure was featured at the world's biggest architectural contest – The World Architectural Festival Awards, and won few other architectural awards.

 

This ​website is made possible with support from the American people delivered through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).

The contents are the sole responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.

Ищите где купить качественный глюкометр? Добро пожаловать в наш магазин! Широкий выбор товаров для больных диабетом.